On Feb 25, 2009, at 4:13 PM, Lachlan Deck wrote:

On 26/02/2009, at 10:20 AM, Mike Schrag wrote:

3. Hibernate validators are not too bad for basic validations
I've always felt that EOF should have more out-of-the-box model- defined validation support
I'm not so sure about EOF doing this -- I quite like being able to organise this in-code and I think it is one of those things that something like PW can add-on without having to put too much into the basic frameworks.
Admittedly, validation in the model is a bit of a religious debate. I think there's a lot of value that can be derived by model-defining it in that you can things like have the UI automatically do richer validation without custom-coding it,

The UI could also let you decide whether the validation is model- bound or code-bound and create relevant validateFor* methods perhaps or both?

The model based validation should be done (as Wonder does it) in an EOEntityClassDescription sub-class. I think in many cases that the model based validation will need to be supplemented by code based validation. Code is just so much more expressive.

and if they're written declaratively, you can actually generate client-side validations that don't require a server roundtrip to just tell the user that you aren't allowed to say you have more than 25 children (or whatever). Anjo, I believe, is also adamantly against model-based validations too, though. I don't know if this helps or hurts your case ;)

I've often felt that WOLips could provide a view of validations taking code & model into account. I think in the past you mentioned this was difficult to do or couldn't be done.

It could certainly do model based. I am not sure what a combined view would look like.

Chuck Hill             Senior Consultant / VP Development

Practical WebObjects - for developers who want to increase their overall knowledge of WebObjects or who are trying to solve specific problems.