On Mar 20, 2009, at 11:41 AM, Patrick Middleton wrote:

I'm still really a WO451 programmer, so what do I know, but .... doesn't Xplode allow you to set a default encoding for your text (source) files? One might expect String s = "£"; to cause the creation of a UTF8 string literal. Suppose your source code default encoding was ISO 8859-1 ... what byte sequence would javac emit?

What's Xplode?  :-)

If on the other hand Xplode's default encoding for text files was UTF8, this problem shouldn't crop up -- unless you introduce it with eg an external component editor.

Mixing encodings is definitely storing up trouble for the future -- been there, done that, don't want to do it again.

Where possible I use £ or even £ , but those choices aren't always available -- list values for popups count here.

It's so easy to type accents and many other characters on the Mac. I don't like using the & character for those things. YMMV.