On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 6:10 AM, Miguel Arroz <ar...@guiamac.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
>  http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/04/20/oracle.to.buy.sun/
>
>  Is this good or bad for Java coders?

The nearest term decision and thus casualty is likely Eclipse vs
NetBeans. Oracle standardizes on Eclipse. I can't see NetBeans winning
out, so its probably on the scrap heap longer term.

This may alter the license for OpenSolaris somewhat, so indirectly it
could affect MacOSX via license changes to ZFS/dtrace. More directly,
if those become dual licensed (CDDL + GPL, possible?), the indirect
benefit is that dtrace may become more prevalent and thus you'd see
better universal harness support for dtrace in Java, regardless of
platform. Right now its all there for Solaris/Java but not there for
the Mac's implementation.

For Apple and WO developers, I see that MySQL may take the biggest hit
on this one, and so it may no longer be a preferential "default" for
initial web development, etc if its fall from grace is further
accelerated by Oracle's disdain for it. It may also mean that the
marketing message you'll here from all corners of the earth is that
Java == Oracle == Java. Why use any other DB? You heard it here first.

Me -- I've already chosen PostgreSQL, so I couldn't care less.