Yes, we were thinking of generating the Pages document on the server then having someone download it, then firing up Pages on a desktop Mac to do an "Export to PDF". I was just trying to see if there was a way we could automate it right on the server without human intervention.

We're Mac all the way so the app wouldn't ever run on anything else.

Brendan Duddridge | CTO | 403-277-5591 x24 |  bren...@clickspace.com

ClickSpace Interactive Inc.
Suite L100, 239 - 10th Ave. SE
Calgary, AB  T2G 0V9

http://www.clickspace.com

On 2009-08-21, at 2:49 PM, Pascal Robert wrote:

Le 09-08-21 à 16:47, Brendan Duddridge a écrit :

Pages will be used simply to generate the template. Then we will be injecting photos and text into it dynamically on the server. A user will use a web form to upload photos. Fill out a form with some text, and click a button to download a PDF document. I was hoping we could use Pages since the documents it produces are way nicer than Word. And using a report tool such as Reportmill isn't really ideal either. My customer loves the wow look they see in Pages, but doesn't want their customers to have to use Pages to read the documents. They want them generated to a PDF document.

Perhaps we can save out to a PDF from Pages and have our WO app dynamically replace content in the PDF file? But I don't think that it would be able to reflow or add pages to the document if too much text gets put into a particular text box area, etc. I also love the way Pages scales and rotates images automatically to fit within the bounding box of the photo area.

I guess an option would be to AppleScript to do the conversion. But that means you can't move out from OS X.

I don't know if OpenOffice has the same quality output as Pages.

If the Wow factor is important, don't use OOo :-)

Thanks,