Okay, let's try it completely manually.

Here's what I have setup in one of my custom Prototypes for MS SQL Server:

External Type: bit
Class: java.lang.Boolean
Data Type: Custom - Custom
External Width:
Value Class: NSNumber
Value Type: c
Factory Method:
ConversionMethod:
Init Argument:

These settings work for me in a current project that talks to a SQL Server 2000 DB.

Dave