Hi Chuck,

Chuck Hill wrote:

Not so easy when you have more than 20 different instances (and counting) running on JavaMonitor. :p

20 does not seem like that many to manage.

Yeah. I'm worried about the future. 100+ instances can become a problem to manage.

Cons:
- more instances to administer

That is our main concern. Today we have 20 instances, but this number is likely to increase considerably in near future.

If it grows to 40, are you planning on having each instance host all 40? I'd look into EOF stack size if you are thinking of having 40 in one JVM and there is a significant amount of data per tenant. That might work out to a lot of RAM per instance and so few instances per machine. It is just something to keep in mind.

You are right and I don't have the exact math for this problem. I believe one solution will not fit all situations. Some tenants will require an entire instance because of the amount of data. But most tenants will not require many resources. Of course, this is based on an empirical analysis. I still have to measure in different situations to determine these magical numbers (number of tenants per instance, required amount of RAM and etc).

Writing a bug free multi-tenant application with shared data is time consuming and expensive. In the case of this specific application is also too risky. Also, a shared database make the backup/restore process very difficult. You can backup everything easily, but how to revert the data for a single tenant?

The backup / restore is a good point. Managing many EOF stacks and ensuring that one tenant does not see another tenants information might be just as complex in either scenario.

Yeah. Whatever solution we chose, I'm convinced it is not a trivial matter.

Cheers,

Henrique