On 2009-09-29, at 3:07 PM, Mark Wardle wrote:

Hi all.

I'm successfully using ajaxautocomplete but that results in a string.
Fine for subsequent searching. Is there a unified component that will
handle setting a to one relationship with a drop down populated by
autocomplete?

Otherwise I'll see whether I can roll my own!

We have one, unfortunately it's implementation is pretty specific for the project it's used in and not really suitable for sharing:

1. It is D2W and tuned for our look.
2. It makes assumptions about the model (yes, I know, that is bad).

The issue with using a autocomplete to do a lookup for a to-one relationship is that, as you mention, the autocomplete returns a string. You need to then guarantee that the attribute you are qualifying the found EO against is unique. For some EOs this is a non issue (qualifying countryName in the array of Country EOs). For EOs where this is not the case (productName in the array of Product EOs) we achieve this by appending a guaranteed unique value (i.e: productCode) to the the primary search attribute.

;david

--
David LeBer
Codeferous Software