The only thing that I've studied as much as WebObjects is the Bible, and that is sometimes easier to explain than WO!

Seriously, the concepts are so deep that I think we (WO developers) kind of take many of the core concepts for granted and sort of treat them like riding a bike. Working with them is easy once you work with them, but difficult to explain up front. WOD files, framework operation, and EO models are pretty easy to describe, but how, without having the patience to read the manual, do you really come to understand the editing context - object store "stack?". Really, how many people still lock ecs wrong?! How many people screw up binding handoffs in the R-R loop? Once you move on past the satisfication of the Hello World app and get your first binding snafu when you change a bound array in the R-R loop, you can become incredibly mystified and then frustrated. What about the first time your app mysteriously locks up under load because you didn't lock an ec right?

If you have the patience to get past these and learn the right way, then you have to familiarize yourself with all the marvelous things in Wonder, which is where you should start anyways. It is the only thing that fixes so many stupid limitations with WO as distributed, and gives you the ability to do all the cool stuff you want to do anyways; how can you write any app without Ajax now? Too often I feel like Wonder is treated as an add-on people get around to when they finally need it. By that time they've wasted a bunch of time rewriting things that the Wonder guys have done already. It should be a foundation for app development, not an add-on. You can read the whole API, and look at the examples, but I think that for casual users coming from Rails, .net, PHP even, that is a pretty big barrier to entry.

Perhaps the way forward isn't to document every single API, but to produce a new "master template" for new users. I could see an example app (ie HelloWorld) that uses Ajax, nested ecs with locking, ERIndex, AjaxLongResponsePage, PDF, er.plot (or google chart), er.excel, er.attachment, er.migration, etc. - whatever we deem as gems.

This skips the learning part (which is still the only way to really move forward IMHO), but at least with one app new users could see all kinds of stuff. I know D2W already does a lot of magical things, but for developers of "traditional" apps, this might show WO flexing its muscles. This could be cobbled together from most of the examples built already.

Looking at WO as distributed can elicit a lot of laughter; it is like an artist showing off their paint and brush collection. With Wonder you have a painting. It takes the basics and makes WO act like a modern development framework. I am stuck at 5.3, but lack very little because Wonder is giving me generics, etc. (I know, I know, I should upgrade anyway)

If there is another problem, it is in there not being a set of best practices. For instances, should we assume that everyone is using ERKey to make qualifiers, or is the instruction to make qualifiers by hand? Many frameworks take that choice away from you and tell you how to do it, which in some ways makes it easier to teach. In order to really grow the base we'd have to teach people to use eogenerator and ERKey, but keep awareness of EOQualifier in there to maintain flexibility if they want it, for example. That would be the hard part and one that all involved would have to coordinate on.

So that's my bit. In the past two months I've been bit by a stupid NotificationCenter oversight (me = stupid) and missed a big efficiency in AjaxResponse, so I am hardly an expert. But that is the point. The people we want to attract aren't either. At least I have the confidence to know that the answer is out there. Newcomers might not persevere as much.

John

John A. Larson
President
Precision Instruments, Inc.