On 2009-10-25, at 8:53 PM, Ramsey Lee Gurley wrote:

No, that would be crazy, even for me (^_^)

I was just wondering if it were possible to set up a client Mac to print automatically to a specific printer based on characteristics of the print job. So, let's say I have a color inkjet printer, a black and white laser printer, and a star receipt printer. If I print out a picture, I want the picture to go to the color printer. If I'm printing a black and white, text only document, then I want that to go to the laser, and if I have a print job that is 7cm wide, it should go to the receipt printer. Automatically... or at the very least, pre-selected in the print dialog so that all I have to do is hit the enter key to print. It seems the only options I really have is to select a specific printer, or default to the last printer used. I'm wondering if it is possible to select the "most appropriate" printer based on characteristics of the print job.

CUPS looked pretty neat. I imagined there might be some hidden configuration magic in it, so I thought I would ask the list to see if anyone know of any. (^_^)

You might want to check with the MacEnterprise list. That sounds more up their alley. <http://www.macenterprise.org/>

Mucking with CUPS is the kind of thing they "enjoy" ;-P

Ramsey