I'm surprised no one mentionned ec.invalidateAllObjects() coupled with refetching arrays you might have in memory (displaygroup and such for example), as far as I understand, it's the only solution that will take care of relationship and get rid of deleted objects (faults will still be in memory but at least refetching relationship and arrays will avoid pointing to them).

- jfv