For posterity's sake:
I got this working although the files are duplicated when built with ant.
 So now I have this:

woproject/wsresources.include.patternset
WebServerResources/**/*
war/**/*

woproject/wsresources-war.include.patternset (only used by ant, see below)
**/*

build.xml

<wsresources dir=".">

<includesfile name="woproject/wsresources.include.patternset" />

<excludesfile name="woproject/wsresources.exclude.patternset" />

</wsresources>

<wsresources dir="war">

<includesfile name="woproject/wsresources-war.include.patternset" />

</wsresources>

This works perfectly with the eclipse builder - it has no issues.  The ant
builder on the other hand seems to be special casing the WebServerResources
source folder and treating others differently.  With this setup using ant I
get the war folder itself copied into the build's WSR AND the contents of
war copied into the build's WSR.  So there is duplication, but it will work.

I'm on my way to file a bug since the behavior between eclipse and ant
should be the same and it's not.

Thanks,
John