For the record, this has been solved.

How?

1. I added a -WOHost parameter to the application, even though
there is only one active ip interface (if we don't include:
localhost on lo0, gif0.) The below Google info, i.e. changing

/System/Library/WebObjects/Adaptors/Apache/apache.conf

by changing the WebObjectsConfig line from http://localhost:1085

http://1.2.3.4:1085

I don't think is necessary, as the adaptor and wotaskd
communicate fine using IP6 over localhost.

2. I
patched /System/Library/WebObjects/JavaApplications/wotaskd.woa/w
otaskd
and then copied it to:
/System/Library/WebObjects/JavaApplications/wotaskd.woa/Contents/
MacOS/wotaskd
Toward the end of wotaskd I inserted the following lines:

# wait untill things boot all the way up

/usr/sbin/ipconfig waitall

/bin/sleep 10

#

# Launch the application.

#

Things now reboot correctly. I would guess this is the most
important change.

The
below, http://lists.apple.com/archives/webobjects-deploy/2008/Jun
/msg00043.html, also suggests putting the same lines of code in
Javamonitor as well, for good measure. I didn't do that, but if
reboots cause more problems, I will.