I used that rule, and unchecked my old rule.  It worked!  Thanks.  However, now
I am having issues if I want to delete the related performance (more precisely,
remove that performance).  I click remove, and the page does not refresh and
continues to show the old related performance (though apparently the
relationship has been removed, because saving causes an error . . . missing the
required relationship).

Anyway, thanks.