On Jul 28, 2010, at 5:10 PM, Tusker wrote:

> I'm using the DNS domain which resolves to the IP of the machine.  I just got
> the DNS setup today in reverse as well.  I was using the .local address
> before.

This is a fun puzzle!  See below.

> On Jul 28, 2010, at 4:43 PM, Chuck Hill wrote:
>
>> What are you using for the host name?  It needs to DNS resolve to primary IP
>> of this machine.  You can't use .local addresses.
>>
>> On Jul 28, 2010, at 4:29 PM, Tusker wrote:
>>
>>> No luck yet.
>>>
>>> I added WOHost in the additional args for the app in JavaMonitor and added
>>> it in launchd.  I couldn't even get wotaskd to start with this argument.
>>> (see error below)
>>>
>>> Instead, I left wotaskd as is and changed the application host in
>>> JavaMonitor.
>>>
>>> The WOAdaptor is up and reporting the application running.
>>> Javamonitor us up and running
>>> Wotaskd is reporting all the configuration changes and I see the
>>> applications there as well.
>>>
>>> I can get to the following url:
>>>
>>> http://myappdomain:2001/test.woa/wa/

That goes directly to the application, cutting Apache, the woadaptor, and
wotaskd out of the picture.

>>> but I can't get to
>>>
>>> http://mywebserverdomain/test.woa/wa
>>>
>>> I restart the server and try starting the application.  This time, I get an
>>> error in the SpawnofWotaskd.log which makes no sense.  It actually starts a
>>> application but JavaMonitor does not see it.

That suggests that all the pieces are not using the same host name.

>>> JavaMonitor reports a death.  But I can get to
>>> http://myappdomain:2001/test.woa/wa/
>>>

>>> Here are the Logs when I start application using JavaMonitor after a server
>>> restart.

>>> Jul 28 16:21:55 contactme[N/A] (ERXNSLogLog4jBridge.java:43) WARN  NSLog  -
>>> Unable to establish a connection to port 2001 on this host.  Perhaps this
>>> port is already in use by another WebObjects application instance.
>>> Jul 28 16:21:55 contactme[N/A] (ERXNSLogLog4jBridge.java:43) WARN  NSLog  -
>>> <WOApplication>: Cannot be
>>> initialized.java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
>>> Jul 28 16:21:55 contactme[N/A] (ERXNSLogLog4jBridge.java:43) WARN  NSLog  -
>>> A fatal exception occurred: <WOApplication>: Cannot be initialized.

So it is already running.  Try
sudo lsof -i tcp:2001
to see the running process id.  You can also try
ps auxwww | grep 2001

>>> wotaskd error when adding WOHost:
>>>
>>> [2010-7-28 13:39:31 PDT] <main> WebObjects version = 5.4.3
>>> [2010-7-28 13:39:31 PDT] <main> Unable to establish a connection to port
>>> 1085 on this host.  Perhaps this port is already in use by another
>>> WebObjects application instance.
>>> [2010-7-28 13:39:31 PDT] <main> A fatal exception occurred:
>>> <WOApplication>: Cannot be initialized.
>>> [2010-7-28 13:39:31 PDT] <main>
>>> com.webobjects.foundation.NSForwardException
>>> [java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException]
>>> Caused by: java.net.BindException: Can't assign requested address

So either wotaskd is already running or some other process is using that port.

Try seeing what the pid is with this:
sudo lsof -i tcp:1085

Check in /Library/LaunchDaemons and /System/Library/LaunchDaemons to ensure
that wotaskd is not getting started twice.

New and clean means that no previous OS X version was installed on these
machines?

Chuck