Hi!

  What kind of DB are you using? Is it a single server, or a cluster?

  Are you REALLY sure it's single threaded (although that should not make a
difference, because OL doesn't work anyway ;) )?

  Are you REALLY sure no other app, person, alien, cosmic ray, etc, is changing
the conflicting rows at the same time?

  (Not my suggestion, but really good point ;) ) What is the data type of the
column you use for locking?

  Regards,

Miguel Arroz