On Nov 24, 2010, at 2:18 AM, Gennady Kushnir wrote:

>>> The point is that I do use multiple EOF stacks. I clearly admit that
>>> each EOObjectStoreCoordinator gets its own set of db connections.
>>
>> It only needs a single connection to work.
>
> Let's say single connection for each used database ;)
> In fact that is a goal I'd like to achieve to have a single connection
> for a EOF stack per database.

That is what should happen *if* the connection dictionaries are equals() and
you close the jdbc2info connections.

>>> I use separate EOF stack to access previous year data stored in a
>>> separate database with identical structure.
>>> That is why I employ
>>> EODatabaseContext.forceConnectionWithModel(model,connectionDict,ec)
>>> And that is why my models get identical connection dictionary.
>>
>> I am not sure if that is the  best / right way to do this.
>
> I did not find any other method to connect a model do different databases.

You need to create a new model group for the new EOF stack (the one using data
from previous years), add the models, and update the connection dictionaries
before using the EOF stack.

>>> I am quite interested if multiple models could share single db context
>>> and thus lower the number of open connections.
>>
>> They can't share db contexts across EOF stacks.
> That's quite clear. I am speaking about several models within one
> stack connecting to the same database.
>
>>> During my experimentations I have found that it is
>>> EODatabaseContext.forceConnectionWithModel(...) the one who create a
>>> connection for a mentioned model which does not get reused afterwards.
>>> May be that is aforementioned JDBCinfo connection?
>>
>> Maybe or it could be a side effect or misuse of that method.  Are the models
>> already connected in the new EOF stack before you call this?
> No, they are not connected. I call this in Application constructor.
> And also this method is the only place where models get correct
> connection dictionary.

Chuck Hill             Senior Consultant / VP Development

Practical WebObjects - for developers who want to increase their overall
knowledge of WebObjects or who are trying to solve specific problems.