We have a sessionless app that we have been running for years on Mac OS X on
XServes.  We recently moved it to Red Hat servers and now we are getting Out of
Memory errors even though we have significantly increased the memory available.
 Red Hat is using the java sun jvm 1.6.0_20 64 bit, while the Mac servers were
running java from Apple 1.5.0_24.  I also tried on my Mac workstation using
Apple java 1.6.0.22 64 bit and the memory appeared to be getting garbage
collected without problem.

I configured the app to do a heap dump when the error occured (Additional
arguments -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError ) and used the Eclipse Memory
Analyzer Tool (http://www.eclipse.org/mat) and it reported the following
problem suspects:

1,296 instances of "java.lang.Thread", loaded by "<system class loader>" occupy
111,947,632 (43.21%) bytes.
1,292 instances of "er.extensions.eof.ERXEC", loaded by
"java.net.URLClassLoader @ 0x2aaab375b7c0" occupy 37,478,352 (14.46%) bytes.
1,280 instances of "er.extensions.appserver.ERXRequest", loaded by
"java.net.URLClassLoader @ 0x2aaab375b7c0" occupy 27,297,992 (10.54%) bytes.

I am using WebObjects 5.4.3 and Wonder from February 2010.

I think I have identified the page that causes the problem because I can
reproduce the problem by continually hitting that page.  It uses
WOHTTPConnection to call an external web service (by sending a WORequest) and
then includes the data received from the web service when it renders the page.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Tim