I do use TabbedPanel in an AMD so I'll try.

Any errors in eclipse console or javascript errors in the browser?

Is it a problem with Tab2 or with any tab after the initial tab is displayed.
If you give Tab2 the binding of "isSelected = true;" does it display the
correct behaviour?

> the tabpanel is on an AjaxModalDialog, when I create the modal dialog, I pass
> in a user object. user has a to one relationship with securitySettings.

So when you say pass in an object, you mean supplied as a binding to the
component where the AMD is declared?

I can't reproduce the problem, maybe the contents of your .wod for TabbedPanel,
Tab1 & Tab2 might help..

Sharpy..