Hi Chuck,

On 01/03/2011, at 3:32 PM, Chuck Hill wrote:

> On Feb 28, 2011, at 8:51 PM, Paul Hoadley wrote:
>
>> On 01/03/2011, at 4:38 AM, Chuck Hill wrote:
>>
>>> It is possible  that some prior transaction had an error and left the DBC
>>> transaction open?
>>
>> Actually, yes, I think I can see a couple of candidates.  A user can
>> initiate a long-running background task from the page in question, which
>> does touch EOF to create some data for download relating to a chosen EO.
>> (I'm reasonably sure those background tasks are well-behaved, in that they
>> use their own ERXEC to do their work, and the EO is passed in using its
>> EOGlobalID.)
>
> Do you create an EOF stack for these long running tasks?    I would suggest
> doing that.

I'm not currently, but I'll change it to do so.  Tell me, is the difference
between just doing ERXEC.newEditingContext(new EOObjectStoreCoordinator()) and
using an OSC pool approach just that the latter ensures an upper limit on how
many stacks the app creates?  Or are there significant setup/teardown costs
involved in the former every time a user starts a background task?  (Or both?)

>> 2.  I've been tuning the RAM available to the instance, and sometimes it
>> runs short.  Just after the IllegalStateException (which presumably rules it
>> out as a cause) there's an OutOfMemoryError when the JVM ran out of heap
>> space.
>>
>> Are either of these potential causes?
>
> Yes!  Run out of memory and all bets are off.    All kinds of things can
> happen in this case, the JVM is often insane.  Likely the
> IllegalStateException resulted from running out of memory.
>
> Where possible (sometimes it can't recover enough memory to even properly
> throw the exception) I try to catch this in the Application's handleException
> and then System.getRuntime.exit(1)

Thanks.  So the fact that the OutOfMemoryError was logged _after_ the
IllegalStateException doesn't preclude it from being the cause?

--
Paul.

http://logicsquad.net/