On Mar 18, 2011, at 5:24 AM, Gennady Kushnir wrote:

>>> I did not do any memory regulations myself. It is just default on my
>>> absolutely standard deployment system for WO (Xserve G4 , 2GB, MacOS X
>>> 10.5, Java 1.5.0_24)
>>>
>>> I found this 64M doing
>>> ps ax | grep "java"
>>>
>>> It lists all WO apps like this:
>>> /usr/bin/java -XX:NewSize=2m -Xmx64m -Xms32m -DWORootDirectory=/System ...
>>
>> If you look at the entire line, you will often see these set multiple times
>> with different values.  The last one is what is used.
>
> I could not find any other values set in that line...
> So Chuk, you also propose to raise this default?

The default is probably too small, it is too small for all but small
applications with low load.

> This causes me to ask another question. What is better scalability
> mechanism? Increasing memory for single instance or adding extra
> instances?

You need to allocate enough memory for each instance to run effectively.  They
need to have enough to not run out of memory or have "memory starvation".  For
scalability, add more instances.  That gives you more parallel database
connections and the ability to process more concurrent requests.

Chuck

--
Chuck Hill             Senior Consultant / VP Development

Practical WebObjects - for developers who want to increase their overall
knowledge of WebObjects or who are trying to solve specific problems.