Ken,

we use a number of short url forms and rewrite these to other URLs
(admitedly DAs only).

For example

RewriteCond ${lowercase:%{SERVER_NAME}} ^(.+)$
RewriteCond ${vhostapp:%1} ^(.+)$
RewriteRule ^/assignment/(.+)$ /aetopia/WebObjects/%1.woa/wa/e?e=$1

We're using some virtual hosts which is the reason for the %1 references;
the key bit is that we're regex-ing a certain short form and rewriting to
the DA long form.

Not sure if this helps you at all.

Martin

--