I'll give you really scary, in 1995 I was hosting a commercial website on a
win95 box that had been butchered to run a cgi scripting engine in VB. To make
matters worse, the DB was MSSQL 1.0 running on a MS OS/2 1.3 server ( IBM
Microchannel PS/2 ). All I can say is that it worked. To this day, I cringe to
recall the configuration.

Ahh, LAN Manager, OS/2 and MSSQL in the days before the Sybase license. Now
THAT was an adventure.

--
Andy 'Dru' Satori

On Wednesday, July 27, 2011 at 10:26 PM, Pascal Robert wrote:

> [...]
> > worked), performance and popularity, but the non commercial use license and
> > a growing MySQL feature set eventually spelled the demise of mSQL's
> > popularity. MySQL went on to dominate the free sql database product space
> > because it was basically the only choice that didn't cost money to use
> > commercially, and support concurrent queries. The appearance of php in 1995
> > helped widen that gap as demand for small SQL databases grew, despite it
> > supporting both products equally.
> > At that time mSQL already had a similar web programming language
> > distributed with it called Lite, but that's a whole other story.
> >
> > MySQL grew from humble and possibly slightly illegitimate beginnings for
> > the purposes of being something very simple, very small, and very fast.
> > Things like ACID compliance and MVCC were liabilities to speed and
> > simplicity and not part of the original plan. It was never intended to be
> > even remotely comparable to the Ingres, Sybase, Oracle, DB2 or Interbase
> > servers of that era.
> >
> > * I used to work with the author of mSQL many moons ago.
> >

> > On 28/07/2011, at 4:21 AM, Andrew Satori wrote:
> >

> > > You asked, about rows and columns so I answered. I know what killed it. I
> > > know why. I know what I could have done to prevent it and work around it.
> > > The net result is that in order to get the performance I needed, I was
> > > going to have to alter things to be MySQL specific, rather than the
> > > standard syntax that works across multiple backends. Hardware was not the
> > > limit. The data in question was in how MySQL coped with a 5th normal
> > > structure and pulling in detail information associated with a master
> > > entry record. The problems stemmed from the join and a table scan caused
> > > my MySQL's inability properly user the index. The same request against
> > > the same data in every other platform of note executed better than 2x as
> > > fast as the MySQL implementation, in some cases on the same hardware, but
> > > most on inferior hardware.
> > >
> > > I understand your point, and yes, there are/were solutions. My point
> > > being, that MySQL has limitations. They can be overcome, but the further
> > > you push it, the more difficult and expensive they become. Unfortunately,
> > > I've been down this path a few times with several platforms. MySQL,
> > > OpenBase, MSSQL, Oracle, Informix, Sybase, DB/2, and PostgreSQL to name a
> > > few (I have only used FrontBase for prototyping so I have no deployment
> > > experience with it and do not include it for that reason). Everyone one
> > > of them has trade-offs and limits. Based upon that experience, for any
> > > project I start today, PosgreSQL would be my first choice, with Oracle
> > > and MSSQL being 2nd and 3rd. MySQL would be absolutely dead last. *if* it
> > > was a project that had Twitter size scaling issues, I would consider
> > > altering that to use DB/2 as the platform of choice, because of it's
> > > ability to cleanly scale to IBM's z series hardware, but even then I
> > > would have to weigh the benefits versus the limitations of
 DB/2.