Is that something I would put in the Application constructor?  Should that be
in a property somewhere?

As for the rest, it appears the issue is in the WO app instance.  Requests that
go to the second instance seem to have normal response times.  My IT guy says
the entire db is less than 60 MB, so MySQL seems not to be a problem.
Apparently we're not using Huge, but there don't seem to be any indications of
a memory issue with MySQL.