Back in January I started this discussion on this same topic:

http://lists.apple.com/archives/webobjects-dev/2011/Jan/msg00224.html

>> I have an app that, during the course of normal usage, is starting httpd
>> processes on the server that instantly hit 100% CPU usage of one core. This
>> can happen multiple times during times when the app is under heavier load.
>> After some time I can have many httpd processes where TOP reports each using
>> 100% of a core. When I try to log into the app and poke around to try and
>> reproduce the issue, I am unable.

This is an update to my original post hoping to see if there are anymore
thoughts on origin. More recently, I have been able to reproduce the issue in
my own usage of the app - something I wasn't able to do before. It seems to be
easier to generate the issue now that there are more ajax requests. The methods
executed by these requests are not intensive or long responses and should
return a result in seconds. Some symptoms:

- When the actions are executed, busy indicators properly spin while the
browser awaits a response from the server. When the issue occurs, the response
never comes.
- while continuing to await a response there is concurrently an httpd process
that pegs he processor at 100%
- if I kill the process on the server, the browser immediately updates properly
as if the request had run properly

It's almost as if apache is somehow receiving an ill-formed request and chokes
on it. The problem is, there are no errors in the console or anything strange
in any apache logs. Has anyone ever seen behavior like this or have any ideas
as to how I could analyze it further?

Tim Worman
UCLA GSE&IS