Thanks Farrukh for showing me the correct place to do this.  It appears that I
am setting the total maximum memory for all the webapps running in tomcat.  I
notice that a recommended way to make these changes in catalina.bat (or
catalina.sh) is to create an additional batch file which catalina.bat or
catalina.sh calls.

1. Mac OS X or Linux

#create a file called setenv.sh in the CATALINA_HOME/bin directory with the
following line
JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Xmx1000m"

2. Windows

#create a file called setenv.bat in the CATALINA_HOME\bin directory with the
following line
set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Xmx1000m

3. Windows when Tomcat is installed as a service

In the Monitor Tomcat application which is used to start and stop the Tomcat
service, there is a Java tab and a place to set the Maximum memory pool.

Regards

Tim