In your code snip, you aren't adding the newContract object into the editing
context.  To reduce errors like these, always use:

ERXEOControlUtilities.createAndInsertObject

I'd recommend not doing this in awakeFromFetch, but making this a step in your
migration to clean-up your DB/object graph.  1,500 new objects is a light
amount of processing and will keep your model object's code clean.

-G