we had problems with elb, wo and sticky sessions. we now run zeus load
balancers on ec2.

we never got to the bottom of it, just randomly the session would seem
to loose it's stickyness, head off to another ec2 instance, new
session and login page.

i suspected it was due to switching between http and https and we
intend to re-trial elb in a few months time because we are moving all
of our apps to full-time https and secure cookies.

sorry, not much help i know, but just a heads up that we did have
problems. i'd be interested in knowing how you get on...

simon