> By the way, is there a way to detect the size of a textfile (logfile) and
> have a process send me a message that something goes wrong,
> when the file reaches a certain size?

I don't know if log4j can email you based on the size of the log (google?)
but I beleive you can limit the size of a log with a the property
MaxFileSize.

e.g. :

# A2 is a DailyRollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.A2=org.apache.**log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.A2.file=/var/**log/webobjects_apps/@@build.**app.bundle.name@
@-@@WOPort@@.**log
log4j.appender.A2.datePattern=**'.'yyyy-MM-dd
log4j.appender.A2.append=true
log4j.appender.A2.layout=er.**extensions.ERXPatternLayout
log4j.appender.A2.layout.**ConversionPattern=%-5p %d{ISO8601} [%t] (%c: %L)
- %m%n
log4j.appender.A2.MaxFileSize=10MB