On 13-jul.-2012, at 12:55, Ted Archibald wrote:

You can use MTurk by using crowdflower.com outside the US.  I'm in Canada and I use WO app that submits jobs and pulls data from MTurk via crowdflower.  I highly suggest it.  It makes MTurk far easier to use as well.

Sorry for the late reply, I got…. distracted by doing a transcript myself.

Thanks for the suggestion, I had a look at it, but apparently they do not want to to transcription:

So I went to the transcription service they advised: castingwords.com

They do transcription in which the price is based on minutes of text, the cheapest is $ 1 per minute, the most expensive one is  $2,50 per minute.

This would mean the average transcription would cost between 60 and 150 US$.

That being said, wouldn't it be easier just to shoot the files to a transcription company?  Especially since there's alot of domain specific terminology.

As I am currently not part of the 1 percent of the population that spends their money on islands, airplanes, Bugatti Veyrons and party donations (all for the benefit of the creation of employment of course!), I assume we have to wait until there is a not-for-profit company funded in Canada, so that we can start donations flowing in that direction, and decide if it is wise to spend it on such a service.

In the meanwhile I have completed my first transcription, of Chuck's (and others) 2008 session on Best Pratices. If you are interested in commenting about the format or have an idea in which we could add such transcriptions to the movies, please let me know. I can send you this first sample, and we might work something out that can be of use to others.

The biggest pain I've had with crowd-sourcing is getting your error rate down.  You can brute force it with high cost jobs or job repetition (which crowdflower does beautiful).  Or you need to manually review everything.  Or you can do it with trial and error, and how your job is designed.  I only got the hang of it after submitting 6-12k jobs per month for at least 4 months before I was really happy.

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 2:56 AM, Amy Worrall <amo...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 9:11 AM, Johan Henselmans <jo...@netsense.nl> wrote:
> Some people reported having transcripts done this way. Unfortunately, I am not allowed to use this tool, as I am not a citizen of the US of A.

I've used it (from Britain) via those companies that offer a service
where they submit the audio to Mechanical Turk and collate the
results. It wasn't too expensive and it was a lot better than having
to transcribe it myself!

This email sent to ted.archib...@gmail.com

Johan Henselmans