On 2012-09-10, at 11:15 PM, Maik Musall wrote:

> Hi Chuck,
>
> Am 10.09.2012 um 22:30 schrieb Chuck Hill <ch...@global-village.net>:
>
>>> The state the app was in when I took that jstack was that no login was
>>> possible and user's requests would not return, ultimately running into "no
>>> instance" responses after the timeout elapsed.
>>
>> Grep the app logs for OutOfMemory, that is one possibility.  They look ready
>> to accept connections.  It could also be that they got so back logged that
>> wotaskd gave up on them and decided they were dead.  Having the lower
>> numbers above should help in this respect - the app will be able to recover
>> more quickly.
>
> Never out of memory. The app is allowed to grow up to 24 GByte, stays in the
> 1-4 GByte range in normal use and occasionally grows up to 12 GByte with the
> most advanced statistics that tend to suck in the whole database.
>
> That's also the reason though that I can't use separate EOF stacks for the
> statistics, because as soon as there were more than one of them, I'd have
> multiple 10 GByte-ish snapshot caches. The server has 48 GByte and I don't
> really want to hit that limit... and with separate stacks, it also would be
> difficult to keep the stats reflect current changes in the other stacks.

I am not sure about the background threads (depends on how long OSC locks are
held), but using ECs sharing the same EOF stack with regular requests is likely
to cause problems like you are seeing.

Chuck Hill             Senior Consultant / VP Development

Practical WebObjects - for developers who want to increase their overall
knowledge of WebObjects or who are trying to solve specific problems.
http://www.global-village.net/gvc/practical_webobjects