Hi Chuck,

many thanks for your answer.

Am 13.09.2012 20:06, schrieb Chuck Hill:
Hi Susanne,

On 2012-09-13, at 8:57 AM, Susanne Schneider wrote:

Hi all,

please allow me to add one question regarding this interesting topic.

Alexis Tual (my mail client has problem with correct quoting) has suggested for
EOF background handling:
<snip>
ec.lock();
try {
   // huge loop to compute stats
   for (i = 0; i < 1000000; i++) {
        // doing stuff with ec...
       // cycling the ec
        if (i % 100 == 0) {
           ec.unlock();
           ec.dispose();
           ec = newEditingContextForMyWork();
           ec.lock();
        }
   }
} finally {
   ec.unlock();
}
</snip>

Now my question: is it correct to dispose the ec after unlock or would it be
better to do this beforehand, like:

        ec.dipsose();
        ec.unlock();

It is correct to unlock it before disposing it.
Good to know, we will do it this way.

If I turn on the ec-lock logging in my application, there are many remarks from the
Finalizers like: "*** EOEditingContext: access with no lock: _eoForGID()!" Is
this a real problem or can it be ignored?

I am not sure, can you send the full stack trace?

There is nor real exception, just the logging message. We have turned on debugging with

   NSLog.debug.setAllowedDebugLevel(NSLog.DebugLevelInformational);
   NSLog.allowDebugLoggingForGroups(NSLog.DebugGroupMultithreading);
   EOObjectStore._resetAssertLock();

in the application constructor because we were experiencing sporadic deadlocks and hoped to get some information of any EC locking problem that way. Besides other information (about real unlocked ec usage) this results in messages like

[120726 18:54:07] DEBUG <Finalizer> com.webobjects - *** EOEditingContext: access with no lock: _eoForGID()!

at random intervals (whenever the garbage collection is done). There seem to be nothing related to this message. Explicitly disposing any local ec seems to help regarding this special message. But because I am not so familiar with the EOF internals, I was not sure if this is a real problem or just too chatty logging.

Best regards.
Susanne
--
Susanne Schneider