Try running jstack on them when the start not responding:

jstack -F <process id>

That will give you a thread dump and may show something.

Have you looked in the logs for OutOfMemory and HeapSpace?  It could be running
out of PermGen space

Are you dispatching requests concurrently?

Chuck

--
Chuck Hill             Senior Consultant / VP Development

Practical WebObjects - for developers who want to increase their overall
knowledge of WebObjects or who are trying to solve specific problems.
http://www.global-village.net/gvc/practical_webobjects

Global Village Consulting ranks 13th in 2012 in BIV's Top 100 Fastest Growing
Companies in B.C!
Global Village Consulting ranks 76th in 24th annual PROFIT 200 ranking of
Canada’s Fastest-Growing Companies by PROFIT Magazine!