I don't think it's the same problem you are having, but I recently had a pb
with date formatters.
Did you check the property component which is used for your date attribute? I
realised that for the date prototype (don't know with datetime), in some
situations, I had a String component swapped in by the default rules
(ERDDisplayString or something). This component does not properly format dates
(I guess it expects a "dateFormatter" and I provided a "formatter" by means of
the rule system–just a guess). Once I added a rule to switch in a date
component (ERDDisplayDateOrNull, or something like that), formatting started
working. Not sure this is your problem, but check the component on the
not-working case.

JPM