I don't use rules but rather, I use code for that sort of thing.

There are handy methods on your EOs for handling init, willUpdate, didInsert
and others you'd want, so I seem to use those without troubles.

here's an example of initializing an active flag, and some dates from the
Wonder/EO's standard init method.

maybe that helps.

    public void init(EOEditingContext ec) {
        super.init(ec);