Hi,

I am currently trying to configure ERXJGroupsSynchronizer for broadcasting EO
change notifications between instances (currently) on the same machine. In the
dev environment this appears to work fine. Live is a different story.

The live Linode VPS has a public and a private ip address and I've set the bind
address for the private network. When the app launches I get the following error

GMS: address is <private ip address>:42199 (cluster=<ClusterName>)
ERROR 14:20:40 (org.jgroups.protocols.UDP:1205)  -failed sending message to
null (44 bytes)
java.lang.Exception: dest=/230.0.0.1:9753 (47 bytes)
        at org.jgroups.protocols.UDP._send(UDP.java:361)
        at org.jgroups.protocols.UDP.sendToAllMembers(UDP.java:302)
        at org.jgroups.protocols.TP.doSend(TP.java:1486)
        at org.jgroups.protocols.TP.send(TP.java:1476)
        at org.jgroups.protocols.TP.down(TP.java:1197)
        at org.jgroups.protocols.PING.sendMcastDiscoveryRequest(PING.java:278)
        at org.jgroups.protocols.PING.sendGetMembersRequest(PING.java:259)
        at
org.jgroups.protocols.Discovery$PingSenderTask$1.run(Discovery.java:406)
        at
java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:471)
        at
java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRunAndReset(FutureTask.java:351)
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.runAndReset(FutureTask.java:178)
        at
java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$201(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:165)
        at
java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:267)
        at
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1110)
        at
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:603)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:679)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Invalid argument
        at java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl.send(Native Method)
        at java.net.DatagramSocket.send(DatagramSocket.java:629)
        at org.jgroups.protocols.UDP._send(UDP.java:352)
        ... 15 more

Beyond the initial setup I am completely lost. Multicasting is not something I
understand at all. I would imagine that I would need to tweak the network
settings to open up a port, or maybe multicasting on the private network won't
work? I'm really not sure. Does anyone have any pointers for how to do this or
if I am doing it wrong?