On 06.02.2013, at 19:38, Ramsey Gurley <rgur...@smarthealth.com> wrote:

> May I begin by saying: That design sucks :-P If there's one really big 'n'
> and a bunch of really small 'n's, the customer going to waste a ton of paper.
> Plus, long text in a narrow column? Srsly?? ZOMG, I want to die noa!

Well, no, it doesn't. This is actually a n by m matrix and being able to see
this matrix is a very good thing. And it is certainly not my job to tell the
customer not to print. But you have not seen the rest of the model, THAT is
crap all over. This started out as a D2W app created by some JEE folks
combining raw JDBC calls with what they thought is WebObjects and D2W. While I
have taken over this baby it started to grow almost uncontrollably. I have
already thrown out the JEE and JDBC stuff and about 30 custom D2W page
components. Anyway. I have to deal with this and slowly try to fix and clean up
things.

> Don't let them design. They don't know what they're doing. Let them tell you
> the requirements and you do the design ;-)
I know they don't - and what they know changes by the hour. There are no
requirements, they just work with the stuff and then marketing comes up with
some new ideas and terminologies and legal has ideas and while working with the
app the user sees some "potential" and so on. And there are tons of interfaces
to other systems where a simple change request would take some 2 months and
cost you an arm and a leg - Oh, did I mention that you would have to send your
request via Poland to India, to have it re-evaluated in Belgium, then sent out
to all parties in Europe and the US for eventual implementation of the changes
in Bangalore and tested in Romania.... Oh the wonders of globalization. But I
digress...

> I haven't used the excel generator before, so I don't know if it can handle
> this, but ERD2W has a grouping list page. With that, you should be able to
> get a table that looks something like
>
> product 1
> statement 1.1
> statement 1.2
> product 2
> statement 2.1
> statement 2.2
> statement 2.3
> statement 2.4
> statement 2.5
> statement 2.6
> product 3
> statment 3.1
> product 4
> ... and so on.
>
> If the xls generator can't handle the markup ERD2W produces, but you could
> customize your own grouping list repetition component.
>
> If they really Really demand columns per statement, I'd just dump the text to
> a csv file and let them open that in excel. This may be the easiest route.

probably the best idea. Thanks Ramsey (and hey, your name is masculine
enough...)
---markus---