Many thanks, that fixed it, I had:

component.inlineBindingPrefix=[
component.inlineBindingSuffix=]
component.wellFormedTemplateRequired=true

Though using $ as the binding did actually work, even given the error showing.

Also my previous note about using an NSMutableArray was a red herring, the
error message popped up again later.

Any pointers to best resources for learning the wognl way would be gladly
received. I have found the list of wo: shortcuts in Eclipse, Preferences,
WOLips, Inline Binding Shortcuts

John