If my understanding is correct, Homebrew uses the installed system libraries
whenever possible. That's the reason to use, and to avoid, Homebrew. Install an
app with Homebrew, then update the system from Lion to Mountain Lion and pray
things still work.

With macports, you install a full set of your dependencies in a separate /opt/
directory. Update your system all you want. It doesn't matter because system
updates won't touch /opt/.

So Homebrew is a bit like dumping a lot of jars in $JAVA_HOME/ext/, where
macports is like a fully embedded build. You get more bloat, but fewer
headaches. Given a choice, I know which one I'd choose.

That's what I remember reading about them at least. :-)

Ramsey