EODatabaseContext.Delegate is another option:

boolean databaseContextShouldSelectObjects(EODatabaseContext dbCtxt,
EOFetchSpecification fetchSpec, EODatabaseChannel dbChannel)

Invoked from the EODatabaseChannel method selectObjectsWithFetchSpecification
to tell the delegate that the database channel dbChannel will select objects on
behalf of the database context dbCtxt as specified by fetchSpec. If the
delegate returns true, the channel will proceed to select the object. If the
delegate returns false (possibly after issuing custom SQL against the adaptor)
the channel will skip the select and return immediately.

The delegate should not modify fetchSpec's qualifier or fetch order.

Parameters:
dbCtxt - The database context.
fetchSpec - The criteria to select and order a group of database records.
dbChannel - The database channel.
Returns:
Should return true to allow the select to proceed, false to cause dbChannel to
return immediately.
See Also:
EODatabaseChannel.selectObjectsWithFetchSpecification( EOFetchSpecification
fetchSpecification, EOEditingContext context)

--
Chuck Hill
Executive Managing Partner, VP Development and Technical Services

Practical WebObjects - for developers who want to increase their overall
knowledge of WebObjects or who are trying to solve specific problems.
http://www.global-village.net/gvc/practical_webobjects

Global Village Consulting ranks 13th in 2012 in BIV's Top 100 Fastest Growing
Companies in B.C!

Global Village Consulting ranks 44th in 25th annual PROFIT 500 ranking of
Canada’s Fastest-Growing Companies by PROFIT Magazine!