I would add to (almost) always call super.validateForSave() first.

All your mandatory attributes are tested so you don’t need to write:
if (myAttribute() != null) {
  // check some stuff
}

Your mandatory attributes can’t be null after super.validateForSave().

There are some rare circumstances where you write your own code before (like
checking invisible attributes for example).

Philippe
http://twitter.com/prabier