Hello there,

I've got a page which lists a number of relationships; for each of them the
user wants to see the number of objects, i.e., essentially something like this:

===
<wo:repeat list="..." item="$item">
  for <wo:str value="$item.title"/><br/>
  - we got <wo:str value="$item.relationship1.count"/> <!-- here's the problem
-->
    rel1 items <wo:hyperlink action="$showItemRel1">show</wo:hyperlink><br/>
  - we got <wo:str value="$item.relationship2.count"/> <!-- ditto -->
    rel2 items <wo:hyperlink action="$showItemRel2">show</wo:hyperlink><br/>
</wo:repeat>
===

The first time this page gets displayed, all the relationships are fetched of
course. That, alas, takes a small eternity, not speaking of the memory
consumption. And it is rather superfluous, for of all the relationships, only
one or two will typically be actually shown.

Since the numbers of items are, alas, needed and cannot be simply omitted to
show them only after the user clicks showItemRelN, I would need a solution to
get a number of items in a relationship quickly without actually fetching them.
That would probably mean exploiting SQL COUNT somehow (but only if the
relationship is not fetched yet, of course; if already happens to be fetched,
simple count is self-evidently most efficient). Hopefully, SQL COUNT will be
fast enough to do each time (if not, some caching and
JS-based-lazy-count-loading etc. will be needed and hilarity will ensue, but at
the moment, I really hope SQL COUNT would suffice).

Is there a pre-made solution for this in WOnder (or even plain WO) which I have
missed so far, or am I out to DIMyself?

Thanks a lot,
OC