Remove the “class property” setting for the ModeTransport to Order.  You can
still use it for fetching.

Chuck

From: <webobjects-dev-bounces+chill=gevityinc....@lists.apple.com> on behalf of
Jérémy DE ROYER <jeremy.dero...@ingencys.net>
Date: Sunday, June 5, 2016 at 12:55 PM
To: WebObjects-Dev <webobjects-dev@lists.apple.com>
Subject: How to avoid expensive fetches in database when setting
to-one-relationship

Dear all,

In our app, we have a one to many relationship between order and mode transport

For each order, we set the mode transport using the method below :

  public void setModeTransportRelationship(ModeTransport value) {
    if (_CommandeClient.LOG.isDebugEnabled()) {
      _CommandeClient.LOG.debug("updating modeTransport from " +
modeTransport() + " to " + value);
    }
    if (value == null) {
    ModeTransport oldValue = modeTransport();
    if (oldValue != null) {
    removeObjectFromBothSidesOfRelationshipWithKey(oldValue, "modeTransport");
      }
    } else {
    addObjectToBothSidesOfRelationshipWithKey(value, "modeTransport");
    }
  }

Then, an objectWillChange() is fired for the mode transport… but the (not
wished) consequence is that every to many relationships from the mode transport
are fetched (even if we don’t call the associated method for the mode
transport). However, the objects associated with the to one relationships are
not fetched.

We observed the same behavior for the customer object when using the
setCustomerRelationship method of the ordre. The (bigger) problem is that the
customer object has dozen of to many relationships... fetched for nothing…

At the beginning we had few orders but now, we have to wait from 10 to 30
seconds until de saveChange is ended and that’s really not effective. More than
90 % of this time is spent for fetching the to many relationship whereas we
just had to save the order values...

Any idea how to deal with theses not-wished-fetches ?

Jérémy