Years ago, we’ve done deployment using tomcat (not JBoss), before mowing back
using WebObjects Adaptor (MAc OS X, Linux and Windows)

It worked great but it added useless deployment layers with (new) constraints.
Not valuable for me.

It does not answer your question but give you a peace of experience.

Jérémy