Hi Ted,

With the caveat that I don’t use Oracle (though that’s probably incidental)...

On 29 Oct 2016, at 10:26 PM, Theodore Petrosky <tedp...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> So I went back to the original app that was using a framework for the oracle
> connection and I commented out the property file entries for the global
> database. then I went to the framework and added the connection information
> to the Entity Modeler instance, and now that works.
>
> What does that mean? I should not use the properties file for my connection
> dictionary?

On the contrary, I think you should _only_ use Properties for your connection
dictionary. One place, you know where it is, you can potentially override it
when you need to (for example, with Properties.dev and Properties.ted).

> Let’s think. I had the connection dictionary in  the Entity Modeler instance
> to reverse engineer the database. Then I deleted the entries in EM, and added
> the GLOBAL lines to the properties file in my app.
>
> Somehow, even though I deleted the lines in the EM instance, the framework
> was remembering and Chuck was asking, “Is it finding a different model
> somewhere?”
>
> But I selected but my app, and the framework in Eclipse, cleaned them and
> even right clicked and refreshed.

It’s hard to say what was going on here.

> Should I just call this voodoo and move on?

I’d call it voodoo, but if it was me I would press on until I had the
connection dictionary out of the model and into Properties, especially if, as
you say, the model is in a framework. (How can you set the connection
dictionary in the framework and be confident that will be appropriate for every
app that uses the framework?)

--
Paul Hoadley
http://logicsquad.net/