I have only done this with a fetch specification. I create a fetch spec on
person then the rule is simple:

102 : (pageConfiguration like 'Query*' and propertyKey = 'client') =>
restrictingFetchSpecification = "currentClients"
[com.webobjects.directtoweb.Assignment]

In this case I have a boolean currentClients. I suppose you could traverse the
foreign key ids, or use direct sql in the fetch spec.

what about creating a method on Project that returns what you want and bind
that to the dropdown?

public NSArray<Person> personsForTeamProject() {

    NSArray allPersons = Person.fetchAllPersons(editingContext());

    EOQualifier personQualifier = <create a qualifier>

 return ERXQ.filtered(allPersons, personQualifier);
}