I have a similar need. I have been moving to AWS. It was easy to set up a
centos (or any other flavor linux) instance. In my case, I set up separate
instances. One for the database and one for the apps. Although you could use a
single box (instance) for both the database and app server.

I have never used nginx so I can not comment.

I would be happy to tell you how I went about my many experiments setting
things up. I have only used wotaskd and womonitor. They have always worked well
for me.

Ted