Hi Henrique,

On 21 May 2019, at 08:22, Henrique Prange <hpra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been using the EOQualifier.evaluateWithObject method to filter some EOs
> in memory. Everything works fine except for one particular case. It always
> returns false if I try to evaluate a qualifier containing EOs with an EO from
> another editing context.
>
> The code below demonstrates the problem:
>
> EOEditingContext ec1 = // create new ERXEC;
> Foo foo = ... // Fetch Foo using ec1
> EOQualifier q = Bar.FOO.is <http://bar.foo.is/>(foo);
>
> EOEditingContext ec2 = // create new ERXEC;
> Bar bar = ... // Fetch bar related to foo using ec2
>
> q.evaluateWithObject(bar); // returns false
> ERXEOControlUtilities.eoEquals(bar.foo(), foo); // returns true
>
> The qualifier evaluates to false because the editing contexts of bar.foo()
> and foo are different, even though their EOGlobalIDs are the same.

That's certainly an interesting result.

> This behavior is not consistent with the result of the same qualifier being
> applied to a fetch specification (fetching from the database). In this case,
> EOF will return the instance of Bar as expected.

This is all starting to ring a bell with me. I think I've run into this
indirectly. From time to time I'll do something like this:

folders = ERXQ.filtered(...,
DocumentFolder.ORGANISATION.is(document().organisation()));

which doesn't produce the results I'm expecting, and I remember I need to do
this:

folders = ERXQ.filtered(...,
DocumentFolder.ORGANISATION.is(document().organisation().localInstanceIn(someEditingContext)));

If you drill down on ERXQ.filtered(), you eventually get to
EOQualifier.evaluateWithObject().

> After some research, I found that I can extend the
> EOQualifier.ComparisonSupport class to evaluate all EOGenericRecord objects
> according to the ERXEOControlUtilities.eoEquals contract. I had a positive
> outcome after a preliminary experiment.
>
> I'd be interested to hear your views about this.
>
> - IMO, it is a bug. Do you agree?

I agree. It's such an old, deep bug though that I've just internalised it and
now it's just normal EOF behaviour to me.

> - Can you imagine any side effects of this fix?

Not immediately. I assume the fix would have no effect on the kind of
localInstance() work-around that I presume we've all been using here. I'm
trying to contrive a scenario where you'd rely on the existing behaviour, and
I'm drawing a blank really.

> - Since this change affects the in-memory evaluation of every type of EO, do
> you think it's appropriate to fix it on Wonder?
>
> I'm willing to contribute a pull request if that makes sense.

Seems like a good idea to me. Do you want to at least create the PR and we can
have a look?

--
Paul Hoadley
https://logicsquad.net/