A lifetime ago I had worked on an open-source java chatbot. It was based on
prior work and I made new files to give it a persona named “Charlie”

I have not kept up with any recent developments but at the time I used the JAR
and it was embedded in my WO app so it was easy in that sense.

One thing I liked about it was that it kept good logs of interactions and made
it easy to see when a customer / user asked Charlie a question for which he had
no idea. If you monitor the logs you can program responses over time and he
feels very real.

Human conversation is more robotic than you might expect so it is easy to trick
people. People say common opening lines and have common responses. When you
don’t know something (or are uncomfortable with that topic) you often try to
steer the conversation another way by going “How about them Red Sox? think
they’ll make it to the world series?” - So Charlie inherently does all that.
He’ll respond in ways that make sense when you’ve told him about the topic and
he’ll find other ways to keep the conversation going when he doesn’t know what
you mean.

Here’s the project: https://sourceforge.net/projects/charliebot/
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/charliebot/>

AARON ROSENZWEIG / Chat 'n Bike <http://www.chatnbike.com/>