Oh, and there's one related question.

It seems to me particularly weird that if sockets caused by the stale OSCs
exceed the ulimit, the threads which use these sockets hang. Is that the normal
and presumed behaviour? I would expect myself an exception thrown instead, or
something like that. Nevertheless, that's not what happens; those threads are
simply stuck in reading from the database forever, like this (jstack output):

===
Thread t@37443: (state = IN_NATIVE)
 - java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0(java.io.FileDescriptor, byte[], int,
int, int) @bci=0 (Compiled frame; information may be imprecise)
 - java.net.SocketInputStream.read(byte[], int, int) @bci=84, line=129
(Compiled frame)
 - java.net.SocketInputStream.read() @bci=23, line=182 (Compiled frame)
 - java.io.FilterInputStream.read() @bci=4, line=66 (Compiled frame)
 - com.frontbase.jdbc.FBJSocket.readInt() @bci=4 (Compiled frame)
 - com.frontbase.jdbc.FBJSocket.checkForSecureCommunication() @bci=1
(Interpreted frame)
 - com.frontbase.jdbc.FBJConnection.createConnection() @bci=709 (Interpreted
frame)
 - com.frontbase.jdbc.FBJConnection.<init>(com.frontbase.jdbc.FBJURL) @bci=116
(Interpreted frame)
 - com.frontbase.jdbc.FBJDriver.connect(java.lang.String, java.util.Properties)
@bci=22 (Interpreted frame)
 - java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(java.lang.String, java.util.Properties,
java.lang.ClassLoader) @bci=210, line=582 (Interpreted frame)
 - java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(java.lang.String, java.util.Properties)
@bci=7, line=154 (Interpreted frame)
 - com.webobjects.jdbcadaptor.JDBCContext.connect() @bci=251, line=236
(Interpreted frame)
 - er.extensions.jdbc.ERXJDBCAdaptor$Context.connect() @bci=29, line=404
(Interpreted frame)
 - com.webobjects.jdbcadaptor.JDBCContext._tryConnect() @bci=55, line=362
(Interpreted frame)
 - com.webobjects.jdbcadaptor.JDBCContext._channelWillOpen() @bci=8, line=505
(Interpreted frame)
 - com.webobjects.jdbcadaptor.JDBCChannel.openChannel() @bci=17, line=111
(Interpreted frame)
 -
com.webobjects.eoaccess.EODatabaseContext._openChannelWithLoginPanel(com.webobjects.eoaccess.EODatabaseChannel)
 @bci=19, line=1907 (Compiled frame)
 - com.webobjects.eoaccess.EODatabaseContext._obtainOpenChannel() @bci=62,
line=1966 (Compiled frame)
 -
com.webobjects.eoaccess.EODatabaseContext._objectsWithFetchSpecificationEditingContext(com.webobjects.eocontrol.EOFetchSpecification,
 com.webobjects.eocontrol.EOEditingContext) @bci=209, line=3054 (Compiled frame)
 -
com.webobjects.eoaccess.EODatabaseContext.objectsWithFetchSpecification(com.webobjects.eocontrol.EOFetchSpecification,
 com.webobjects.eocontrol.EOEditingContext) @bci=34, line=3195 (Compiled frame)
 -
com.webobjects.eocontrol.EOObjectStoreCoordinator.objectsWithFetchSpecification(com.webobjects.eocontrol.EOFetchSpecification,
 com.webobjects.eocontrol.EOEditingContext) @bci=97, line=488 (Compiled frame)
 -
com.webobjects.eocontrol.EOEditingContext.objectsWithFetchSpecification(com.webobjects.eocontrol.EOFetchSpecification,
 com.webobjects.eocontrol.EOEditingContext) @bci=79, line=4069 (Interpreted
frame)
 -
er.extensions.eof.ERXEC.objectsWithFetchSpecification(com.webobjects.eocontrol.EOFetchSpecification,
 com.webobjects.eocontrol.EOEditingContext) @bci=10, line=1308 (Interpreted
frame)
 -
com.webobjects.eocontrol.EOEditingContext.objectsWithFetchSpecification(com.webobjects.eocontrol.EOFetchSpecification)
 @bci=3, line=4444 (Interpreted frame)
 -
er.extensions.eof.ERXEOGlobalIDUtilities.fetchObjectsWithGlobalIDs(com.webobjects.eocontrol.EOEditingContext,
 com.webobjects.foundation.NSArray, boolean) @bci=325, line=290 (Interpreted
frame)
 -
er.extensions.eof.ERXEOGlobalIDUtilities.fetchObjectsWithGlobalIDs(com.webobjects.eocontrol.EOEditingContext,
 com.webobjects.foundation.NSArray) @bci=3, line=229 (Interpreted frame)
 -
er.extensions.eof.ERXEOGlobalIDUtilities.fetchObjectWithGlobalID(com.webobjects.eocontrol.EOEditingContext,
 com.webobjects.eocontrol.EOGlobalID) @bci=9, line=209 (Interpreted frame)
 -
er.extensions.eof.ERXEOGlobalIDUtilities$fetchObjectWithGlobalID.call(java.lang.Object,
 java.lang.Object, java.lang.Object) @bci=18 (Interpreted frame)
 - others.ImportCSVTask.performAction() @bci=437, line=229 (Interpreted frame)
 - er.extensions.concurrency.ERXLongResponseTask$DefaultImplementation.run()
@bci=25, line=166 (Interpreted frame)
 - java.lang.Thread.run() @bci=11, line=695 (Interpreted frame)
 - er.extensions.concurrency.ERXLongResponseTask$WorkerThread.run() @bci=1,
line=64 (Interpreted frame)