MD5's potential for collisions doesn't significantly compromise its
use in this application though, does it?  Even SSL uses MD5, and if
it's good enough for SSL...

Digest authentication does not require you to store passwords in
plaintext.  You only need to store the hash of
"username:realm:password".

I have the AJAX login thing sitting somewhere on one of my hard
drives; I'll try to dig it out and put it online.